Rani Birla Girls’ College, Kolkata, has introduced a three year undergraduate degree course in Fashion and Apparel Design from the 2008-09 academic session under the University of Calcutta. It offers an opportunity to students to build up a career at the end of third year from college campus itself in one of the most upcoming areas in textile and garments.
- Admission is open to all students who have passed 10+2 examination from any stream, from any recognized Board. Also students who have passed 10+2 examination in Vocational stream conducted by the West Bengal State Council of Vocational Education & Training are also eligible to get admission in this course.
- The course curriculum includes subjects like Communicative English, pattern making, garment construction, fashion illustration, surface ornamentation of textiles, accessory designing, wet processing, dyeing and finishing of garments, portfolio presentation, internship and project presentation, which shall allow students to build a career in consonance with a globalised economy and contemporary consumerist trends.
- Course fee : Rs. 30,000 per Annum
- Practical classes are conducted in textile testing, garment construction, pattern making and computer labs, well equipped with latest instruments like Juki & Brother sewing machines, latest versions of pattern making and designing softwares, textile testing instruments, dyeing machines, looms etc.
- Industrial training is offered to final year students in well known commercial houses such as: Nitya Garments, Budge Budge, K.K. Banijya, Madhyamgram, Rajlakshmi Garments, Jangalpur and others.
- Job Placement has been offered to all the 3rd year students of the session 2010-2011at : Nitya Garments, Budge Budge, K.K. Banijya, Madhyamgram, Rajlakshmi Garments, Jangalpur, Mansha Modi’s, Park Circus and others.
- Final year students have also proved themselves eligible for further studies at Jadavpur University, Bombay University, National Institute of Design, London School of Fashion, Hongkong School of Fashion and others.
- Industrial visit for all students are organized to: Jayashree Textiles, Rishra, Amrit Export, Madhyam Gram, Handloom Weavers’ Society, Phulia etc.